Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 13, 2013








Little House In The Big Woods
by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Reviewed by
Xoia Skultety

Little House In The Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder is a book based on the old fashioned American lifestyle. Although it is fiction, the book has many truths about the past of american life.
The book opens with an overview of the family. Ma, Pa, Laura (the main character) and Mary, her older sister. The book follows the family as they go through a year of life in "the big woods" as Laura calls it. Pa leaves most days to go hunting, and Laura and Mary help Ma around the house. This story touches on Christmas, New Years, holidays, family gatherings, and all around good times.
This book depicts the pureness of the old fashioned American lifestyle. It is fairly a short read. For those who read fast, I say it's about a two day read. For those who read a little slower, it may take a week to read.
This book has been a childhood favorite for me for a long time. I grew up having my parents read it to me chapter by chapter. Then when I was old enough to read it myself, I read it nonstop. This book is high on my book scale. It is funny; it has an overall good and positive atmosphere. I have always found it a pleasing read. It's not too complicated in the wording, so it is suitable for younger readers. However, olders readers will enjoy it as well.